Tuesday 7 July 2015

Coffee - A luxury or a need?



The fresh coffee beans brewing early in the morning. That sharp bitter taste of espresso. That rush you get when caffeine hits your system, and that little smile that curls up your lips when you get your much needed fix. 

It is estimated that 50% of the population, equivalent to 150 million Americans, drink espresso, cappuccino, latte, or iced/cold coffees.


In Malta, it’s nothing less. Café stores are filled with customers from around 6am, and during office break times, customers double or even triple, but do we truly need the caffeine fix or is it because of habit?

I for one, am a coffee lover. You’d find me reaching for my caffeine fix even when I don’t need it. It’s more of a love, or habit that I think makes me reach for that constant cup daily. For instance, today it has been my 6th cup of Nescafe Espresso Rich and Short, and 5th cup of Green Tea. I’m stuck at home sick for quite some time, and I guess the only thing that kept me going is fixing my blog, and reaching for that cup.

Looking at the picture of my cup makes me want to get another one (which I did). Caffeine is a drug and it doesn’t come without any side-effects. I tend to abuse it on a daily basis, especially during school days, when days seem short and material to work on and study seems too much. Some of the negative side effects include –

  • Insomnia and/or sleeplessness
  • Anxiety symptoms
  • Depleted calcium and iron levels in women 
  • High Blood Pressure and Indigestion
  • Restlessness
  • Irritability
  • Heartburn
  • Headaches (sometimes severe)
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Nausea


But besides these, caffeine does come with advantages as well. Such as –

  • Increased muscle strength.
  • Increased metabolism by breaking down fat, freeing fatty acids and forcing them to be burned. (Caffeine is the most active ingredient in many diet pills.)
  • Increased pain relief medication effects.
  • Increased mental faculty.
  • Reduction in asthma symptoms.


Of course, despite knowing all it’s disadvantages, nothing stops me from still consuming that daily fix. It’s summer over here, meaning that as I mentioned in my previous blog entry, exams are over and it’s holiday time, where I can afford to lay of it, but caffeine withdrawal symptoms aren’t amusing.  According to http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/caffeine.shtml symptoms can begin as soon as 12 hours after your last cup, depending on the amount of caffeine your body is used to.
In my case, I have experienced these symptoms under the 7th hour. Some of the symptoms associated with withdrawal include

  • Restlessness
  • Irritability
  • Anxiety
  • Headaches (even migraines)
  • Muscle stiffness
  • Chills and/or hot spells.


Unfortunately, I’ve experienced all of these, which is what keeps me from stopping caffeine. I’ve been working on cutting down, or trying decaf, but why take coffee if it’s decaf? In my perspective, I do not see any reason why I should take decaf coffee. I find it a waste of taste and use of coffee.

Some, like me, may also abuse caffeine due its primary affect as an appetite suppressant,
which aids in weight loss. I will further open on this in my next blog entry, but it made  me think, how an over the .. I was going to say "counter", but that usually applies for pharmacies.. coffee is available into every store, mall or supermarket, even in cafes and restaurant. I myself order coffee before going out to eat or anything. I believe that it keeps in check with what I order. I sometimes replace meals with coffee, which I know is wrong, but I still do it anyway… and this does make me think, because I’ve known this since I was about 9 years old, and children today are more advance. 


Hence, my question, what is the reason you guys use coffee for, and do you think that kids today are more self-conscious about how they look ?
And this does bring me back to the question. Is coffee a luxury or a need?

E-mail me on – seramartina@hotmail.com , for discussions on this topic and any ideas you’d like me to write about.

Also, comment and voice your thoughts. I’d like to hear all of you.

Till next entry – Keep well :)


Sera :)

No comments:

Post a Comment